TODEC provides Monthly Education and Leadership Classes through workshops and educational materials geared for immigrant families to assist them to improve their quality of life.
Know your Rights: “Ningun Ser Humano es Ilegal”
IF YOU ARE questioned BY THE POLICE:
You have the right to ask the officer if you are being arrested or detained.
- If the officer says, “NO, you are not being arrested or detained,” ask the officer if you may leave. When the officer says that you may leave, slowly and calmly walk away.
- If the officer says, “YES, you are being arrested or detained”…
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT!
If you are undocumented…Do not answer any questions or say only “I need to speak to my lawyer.”
- If you have a valid immigration status documents, show it. Always carry it with you.
- Do not say anything about where you were born or how you entered the United States.
- Do not carry papers from another country. (If you do, the government can use this information in a deportation proceeding).
Show them the Know Your Rights Card.
Above all, do not show any false documents and do not lie!
Locate a detainee – https://locator.ice.gov/odls/homePage.do